Legal compliance - Cookies
You can find Cookie Accept at the Joomla Extensions Directory. A good explanation on why you need to add this to your website and what information it has to contain can be found on the EU website on this topic. I won't go into further detail about the information you have to provide in this extension and/or in the link you will enter in the extension.
As usual for our installation guides, we will work with 3 parts, which are
- Pre Installation Process
This part will describe what you have to do before you can actually install the plugin
- Installation Process
This part will of course describe the steps in the installation process of the plugin itself
- Post Installation Process
where we will walk through the steps necessary to make the plugin available on all pages, menus, ... so it can be used throughout the site.
- Log in to the Administration Panel of your website
- Go to Extensions > Extensions Manager
- Select the 'Install from Web' tab
- Search for 'Cookie Accept'
- Click on the 'Cookie Accept' link to go to the download screen
- Click on the Download Button & store the zip-file on your local computer
- Go back to the Joomla Administration panel and select the 'Upload Package File' tab
- Browse for your downloaded package
- Upload (and thus install) the package
- There is nothing to be done during the installation process.
- After the installation, you just need to configure a bit in the plugin before you can use it. Go to Extensions > Module Manager
- Filter on 'Cookie' in the selection field
- Click on the 'CookiesAccept' module
- Select a specific place somehwere on your page for the module (you can take a place not present on your webpage so your visitors won' see the ugly module which has no real content. The place of this plugin on your site will not be determined by the place you give it over here, but you will have to configure it in the basic settings of this plugin itself.
- Publish the module on ALL pages (2nd tab)
- Set the Basic settings as
- Position - Bottom
- Join the JQuery library - Yes
- Theme - choose for yourself
- Additional Information - Yes
- Article as additional information - No
- If you need to support a website in another language than the ones provided, go the the Other languages tab an fill your data
- Don't forget to save!
The URL for the European legislation on cookies can be found at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32002L0058:NL:NOT - if you need the text in another European language, change the NL (6th and 5th last characters) to the appropriate language.