2FA in Joomla - Step 2A - Two Factor Authentication in the Back End
Before you start on doing this, please be aware that all users will have to set up their own 2FA - so you can't do it for anybody else because then you will be able to impersonate them because you will also have their secret key. I will only show how to enable and configure the 2FA for front end and back end with both authentication methods for the purpose of showing you how to do this.
- Log in to the administrator part of your site
- Go to the Users Menu > User Manager
- Click on the user you want to change to Two Factor Authentication and go to the last tab "Two Factor Authentication"
- Select the "Google Authentication" or "Yubikey" option (I will go on with the Google Authenticator part for the back end, on the front end I will elaborate on the Yubikey part)
- The contents of your screen have now changed completely. Now you have the key to insert in your code generator or the QR code to scan with your device to have your code generated every time you need it. If you need to know how to install the code generating programs, we also have writte a separate article on how to set up code generating apps. After you have done this, don't forget to press the Save button!
- Now at the lower part of the page, you get a series of one-time emergency codes. Make sure you have at least a couple of them available at any time - so write them down somewhere on a piece of paper you defend with your life or store them on a safe place on your computer.